Today we’re talking about a topic I have never covered before and I’m excited because it’s an opportunity to help new and expectant moms. My guest, Natasha Trenev, who you know by now if you’ve been listening to my show for a while, is joining me to talk about how microbiota contribute to a newborn’s health – for the rest of her life! Listen in to find out why it is so important for a baby to get essential bacteria from the mother, and how prenatal probiotics can help you make sure that happens regardless of whether you have your baby by vaginal birth, cesarean, or adoption!
How does a C-Section birth affect the baby’s microbiome?
Providing a baby with healthy gut bacteria is a key factor in his immune function. With C-sections on the rise (38% of births in the US), there are some legitimate concerns about how the baby will encounter the bacteria that is needed. However, one of the most important bacteria, the Bifidobacterium infantis, has been shown by researchers to be disappearing in vaginal births as well. Listen to this episode as Natasha Trenev and I discuss how to use prenatal probiotics before and after birth to provide the microbiota that new babies need regardless of the way in which they enter the world.
Formula vs. Breastmilk: How they affect a baby’s microbiota
What you feed your baby makes a difference for their gut health. On this episode, we’ll talk about the differences between breastmilk and formula for a baby’s microbiota, and how to recreate what nature intended for your baby’s health if you are unable to breastfeed or have adopted a baby. Listen in to learn about infant microbiota, formula and non-human milk choices, and how to be sure your baby has what is necessary for life-long gut health.
Answers to listeners’ questions about babies & toddlers, microbiota, and gut health
I love responding to listeners’ questions on this show! My listeners asked great questions during today’s episode about prenatal probiotics and how to ensure that your baby gets what she needs for a healthy microbiome. Natasha Trenev and I will answer questions like what prenatal and postnatal probiotics to take and give your baby, how to help a 3-month-old with acid reflux, what probiotics a toddler can take, and where to get sheep’s milk! Listen in for answers to these questions and more, as we discuss how to maintain a baby’s healthy microbiome.
Prenatal Probiotics can help develop a healthy microbiome for mom and baby
Present-day Western cultural and environmental factors have decreased the chances of a new baby having a healthy microbiome. On today’s episode, I have one of my favorite guests, Natasha Trenev of Natren Probiotics. We will be talking about LifeStart, LifeStart Pro (Vegan), and Healthy Trinity and how these probiotics can affect Mom’s and baby’s gut health and immune system. Listen in to get your questions answered about these Natren products so that you will know which ones are right for you and your baby.
Outline of This Episode
- [0:05] The importance of microbial contribution to a baby’s mental and physical health.
- [5:57] Why are cesareans on the rise?
- [8:36] The disadvantages of a C-section birth, and preventive measures you can take.
- [11:30] The Bifidobacterium infantis bacteria and breast milk.
- [14:29] Autism concerns.
- [16:23] Q&A Should I be taking Healthy Trinity or Life Start in my first trimester?
- [18:20] Q&A How to help a 3-month old having digestive issues and acid reflux.
- [20:48] Why a baby might not get the bacteria they need through a vaginal birth.
- [21:34] Q&A Can toddlers continue to take Life Start?
- [23:02] Q&A How to help a toddler with acid reflux.
- [23:49] Difference between Life Start and Life Start Pro.
- [25:46] Q&A Are Natren products gluten free?
- [29:07] Q&A What probiotics can a vegan expectant mom take?
- [30:24] Formula vs Breastmilk: How they affect a baby’s microbiota.
- [32:09] Rotating milks for an adopted baby.
- [34:20] The relationship between allergens and behavior.
- [38:54] Q&A Where can you get sheep’s milk?
- [39:22] Q&A What does it mean when a baby kicks while you are eating?
- [41:23] Natren product information.
- [41:57] Opportunity to win free probiotics (for live stream and re-broadcast)
- [43:58] Q&A How long can you leave probiotics in the travel tin?
- [45:38] Why probiotics need to be refrigerated.