You know it’s coming when the symptoms begin to creep in…especially breast tenderness. I mean let’s face it, hugging is out of the question and running down the stairs tempts you to hold to them for dear life. Truthfully even whipping off your bra at the end of the day through your sleeve can be both painful and a sigh of relief. And what about those itchy nipples before you get your period? Didn’t think it was all related? Believe it or not they are, which is why I’ve created my free Pain-Free PMS Guide and this brand new Quickie of the week!
Breast tenderness and what you can do.
Okay so let’s get started:
The causes of itchy nipples
Alright let’s face it, this can be pretty embarrassing and downright frustrating. So why does this happen? Well according to Chinese Medicine breasts which are itchy are a sign of what’s called, “Liver Qi Stagnation.” In other words, when the liver’s energy isn’t moving properly due to a lack of exercise or too much refined, process foods, the liver can become compromised. The same thing can happen when we eat too much carbohydrates, drink too much alcohol or coffee and forget to get in our 2L of water daily.
Causes of tender breasts
If you’re suffering from breast tenderness before that time of the month, here are some reasons why it could be happening:
- Poor liver detoxification
- Excess estrogen and a low progesterone profile
- High stress levels – remember your stress hormones can compete with your sex hormones, namely progesterone
What you can do
Remember that even if you begin to implement my tools, that you really need to give it a month or two before you start to see results. The truth is that if your period is a nightmare, it’s a reflection of how you’ve treated your body (and mind!) a month or two before getting your period.
Ditch the coffee for at least 30 days
I tell all the women in my Sexy Lady Balls hormone membership program to do this. It’s generally followed by an initial groan but after the 30-days they rave about having more energy than they could have ever imagined. Even one cup of coffee per day can contribute to PMS symptoms especially painful breasts.
Add in a high quality probiotic
Having good bacteria in our intestines has wide ranging benefits for our health. Healthy bacteria can decrease symptoms of PMS by increasing beta-glucuronidase enzyme activity and promoting estrogen excretion.
Food for thought!
Reduce phytoestrogens like soy and flaxseeds as well as complex carbs like breads, pastas and rice. Instead incorporate more green veggies that fuel the liver and especially veggies that are rich in indole-3-carbinol like broccoli, cauliflower and rapini.
Speaking of which here is my Rapini Pizza with Cashew Cheese & Pesto
- PIZZA TOPPINGS
- 1 cauliflower almond meal pizza crust (see recipe below)
- Cashew cheese (see recipe below)
- ½ bunch rapini roughly chopped
- ¼ sliced red onion (or less depending on how much you love onion)
- Dairy-free pesto (I get mine at my local health food store)
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- CAULIFLOWER ALMOND MEAL CRUST
- 2 cups almond meal
- ½ cauliflower chopped up
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- CASHEW CHEESE
- 1 cup cashews
- Water – just enough to make into a cream
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- Sea salt
- CRUST PREP
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a blender blend cauliflower until it blends down to cauliflower rice.
- Add to bowl with remaining ingredients and make between two cauliflower crusts (they’ll be roughly 9” crusts).
- Add to a parchment-lined tray and add to oven and let cook until the bottom begins to brown.
- Gently flip to brown on both sides.
- CASHEW CHEESE PREP
- Blend your cashews until finely ground.
- Add nutritional yeast and slowly add water until it becomes a thick cream.
- Add salt to taste.
- PREP & ASSEMBLY
- In a pan on medium heat, add olive oil and add in red onions until caramelized.
- Add rapini, salt and red pepper flakes.
- Set aside.
- Add pesto to crust and add rapini mixture and then top with dollops of cashew cheese.
- Add back into the oven for 5 more minutes, slice and enjoy.